Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reboot Diet - Day 14


Today was a glorious day spent almost entirely with Melissa. We woke up around 7:30 or so to get ready to go swim. Usually we get up right at 6 and get ready and head out the door by 6:30 because our window of opportunity is from 7 to 8 and that is it. But today we had basically all day to swim because they had 6 lanes open at the JCC from 8:30 until 7:30 PM. So we were not in a rush and Melissa took some time before we left to register for a couple of triathlons before the price bump. We ended up at the JCC at about 8:50 to swim.

After our 1 hour swim, we came home and ate more fruit before heading out with our mountain bikes to go to one of our favorite places to ride, Poor Farm Park in Hanover County. Melissa had not been riding in quite a long time so we planned to take it easy so we could gradually ease back into riding. We had a great ride! Melissa lead the way through the woods. It was as if she had not been off the bike at all. She rode with skill and pace and only had to get off her bike once for a sketchy log crossing. She rode over all the other obstacles like a veteran mountain biker. We ended up with about 40 minutes or more of riding which was a great start to the season.

After riding, we went to Whole Foods for lunch and some groceries. Lunch at Whole Foods is always the best. I had cooked Kale, some spicy cooked cabbage and veggies. Some spicy Cajun potatoes and a leafy green salad. It was all so very good and healthy too.

After our shopping trip, I did an hour ride on my road bike. It was quite windy so it was a good workout. I have not had a chance to ride my road bike all that much because of the weather. I am looking forward to warmer weather and building up to doing long mileage. I did just over 12 miles today. I plan to work my way up to 50, 60, or even 100 milers on that bike. Riding the road bike is great for my knees and will prepare me for the big race at the end of the summer.

For dinner tonight, we cooked up some collards and spinach and roasted some potatoes with spices. We also had salad with guacamole as well as some homemade soup. We have tried our hand at several homemade soup recipes during the reboot and have yet to find a great one. Tonight's was very close. We made a roasted potato and Jerusalem artichoke soup. I think there was a little too much water and we decided afterwards that mushrooms might complement it well so next time I will add the mushrooms and use a little less water. I think with some further tweaking, that recipe could be a keeper. Also once the reboot diet is over, I can make a new split pea soup recipe that I made on New Year's eve that was quite delicious. I am looking forward to that recipe as well as some other new ones from a cook book I got for Christmas.

Tomorrow is our last day of the reboot diet. I plan to write one more blog posting about it tomorrow night. Hopefully I can summarize what I have learned for the diet.

Tomorrow will be another day of exercising. After morning church we will likely do some running or biking or both and we plan to do our P90X Yoga routine at some point. I also would not mind swimming again. I would like to work up to swimming 3 times a week. Also we have Monday off and I would love to get some more exercise in if possible. You are probably seeing a trend here. In case you did not know, I like to exercise.

Another quick health note before I sign off. I received my "papers", as the doctors office called them, in the mail today. Basically they are orders for blood work. On Tuesday I will call and make an appointment with Labcorp to get my blood drawn and have several tests done. There is nothing wrong with me but when I switched to my current doctor in 2007, he wanted me to come in for a physical. I am finally getting around to it.

Thanks for reading!



1 comment:

Rachel Chieppa said...

Sounds like y'all had a lovely day!!! It's so nice to be able to exercise together!