Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tired Legs

As my winter training continues, I may shift my blog to something more akin to a training journal with occasional longer entries about this and that. I have been meaning to experiment with doing a daily journal and thought it would be more interesting to do it here on my blog than in a little notebook. It will mean more frequent but shorter posts and less story telling. I hope my readers don't get too bored with it. I will undoubtedly occasionally write about other things and I will of course continue updating you with my race plans and race reports.

Let me recap the week so far. Saturday started out early with a morning cycling class with our coach. "Fun with Karen" as she likes to put it. We did a lot of one leg drills and a bunch of standing and high cadence work. My legs were pretty tired afterwards. I would never be able to push myself as hard as I do when I am in one of her training sessions.

After cycling, I pretty much shopped for the rest of the day and got almost all of my shopping for the holidays done. When I tell people that I went to Short Pump on Saturday to shop as well as to the Toys R Us, they think I am crazy. "Wasn't it just so busy" they ask. Well, I don't really think it is such a big deal. I grew up 5 minutes from Tysons Corner in Northern Virginia. Shopping at Christmas up there is a totally different ballgame. That is what I am used to. Sure you may have to wait at a stop light a little longer than normal on Broad Street but honestly, it is really nothing compared to what I grew up doing.

On Sunday, I did a very slow trail run with some of the ladies from my training team. We ended up running trails for about 3 hours. We had a few walk breaks and occasionally stopped to tend to the dogs that were running with us. And we took a short refueling break during the middle of our run. I was in zone 1 for the entire run. That is probably just what I need. I tend to go a little too fast when I am supposed to be taking it easy.

Monday morning came early and I was back in the pool. We did lots of kick drills and my tired legs did not serve me well. I felt slow and I was slow. I was the last one to finish the kick drills each time down the lane. My legs were pretty shot.

After work on Monday, I hurried home and did a 30 minute pace run and then headed off to Yoga. Tuesday morning was cycling class. It was hard. My legs were pretty tired and the high cadence drills were tough to maintain. But I think overall, I did pretty well.

On Wednesday, I slept in until 7AM. It is nice to catch up on some sleep sometimes. After work I did my one hour hill workout. We have one short hill in our neighborhood that climbs about 50 feet in about a quarter of a mile. It was repetitive but I managed to run up and down the hill about 23 times after warming up. Here are my splits.

Tomorrow I will cycle again and then Friday I have a day off before Saturday's cycle and long run. I am moving the long run to Saturday. Sunday is our 18 year wedding anniversary. I want to have the whole day free so we can spend time relaxing and enjoying our day.

That's all for now. Thanks.

1 comment:

Rachel Chieppa said...

I like the idea of using the blog as a platform for your journaling. Good idea! Happy Anniversary!