Saturday, December 17, 2011

Saturday Wrap Up

This morning we had our normal 1 hour cycling class with Karen. Karen lost her voice somehow so instead of her usual workout, we did a Spinervals DVD that I brought to class and ran off my computer connected to the projector. It was a relatively small class as some folks had opted to get their run in today rather than tomorrow due to h0liday obligations. We had a good workout although not as hard as when Karen leads the class.

After cycling, we went home and I refueled with a smoothie and got all my gear together to run. I made the quick drive downtown to run the trails- this week by myself. My training plan called for a 2 hours and 45 minute run and that is exactly what I did. I felt good on the run. I ended up doing about the same distance as last week but about 15 minutes faster. The trails were muddy and slick in some spots but I managed to stay upright the entire time. It was cold but I dressed appropriately.

During my run, I consumed 3 Vanilla Hammer Gels. At no time did I feel hungry or weak. Toward the end of my run, my legs and hips were starting to complain slightly and my right calf was starting to tighten up a bit but these things did not really slow me down. I was tired afterwards but not wrecked or anything. I did some quick stretches and headed home.

When I walked in, I was shivering. Melissa said that I looked cold. I told her I was about to get even colder. "Ice bath?" she asked. Yes indeed, that was my plan. I put on a bunch of clothes over the upper half of my body including a winter hat and the hood from my sweatshirt. Then I sat in the empty tub and let the cold water rise up so my hips and legs were submerged. Melissa then put the big back of ice in the tub for me and started the timer. Boy was it cold. Ice baths in the winter are always colder because the cold water comes out of the tap so much colder than during the summer. I did my 11:35 in the icy cold water before I had had enough. There is no doubt that the ice bath helped with inflammation. After I finished getting cleaned up and headed out to the store, I thought my legs felt pretty good.

Later that evening we had a Christmas party to go to. It was fun. There is nothing like a house full of like minded people talking about training and racing. I heard some great Ironman stories and discovered that one couple has traveled all over the world doing Ironman. It was neat to hear their stories of finishing their first Ironman.

One guy who also had some great stories told me I should do Florida Ironman in 2013. The bike and swim are flat and fast so it is good for a first Ironman race. Of course the 2.4 mike swim is in the Gulf of Mexico which can be very choppy. That would be the most daunting part I think. That and the 112 mile bike ride followed by 26.2 mile run. It all seems so crazy. In talking to the folks at the party, one woman told me that she thought it was crazy. But she said, after you do one, you have a new idea of what crazy really is.

I think I am on my way to someday going for it. But I am not really ready for that distance yet. My goals for this year are to get more time in the saddle, swim better, and learn how to pace and race better. I have planned to do 2 half iron distance races as well as a few Olympics and a sprint. We'll see how thing go. If, in November of 2012, my coach things I should go for it, I may just go ahead and register for the 2013 Florida Ironman. Then again, maybe I will wait another year. For now, I have to take things one workout at a time. And is it now time for some recovery. Good night.

No comments: