Thursday, December 22, 2011

Just Keep Pushing Play

"Just keep pushing play." These are the words of Tony Horton who encourages people who are doing his P90x workout in the privacy of their own home to put his DVD in and just press play. It is a similar philosophy that you will hear runners talk about. Just lace up and hit the streets. Don't obsess about the workout or how many miles you need to do. Just get out there and run. Even it means just getting out for a 1 mile run. Often that 1 mile will turn into many more.

I reflected on this philosophy which is captured by the famous Nike slogan, "just do it." It is one thing to get out there and exercise simply for health. It is another thing to train for a specific event. For multisport athletes, just do it becomes just do what? How much should I swim, bike, and run? Thankfully, I have a training plan that tells me exactly what to do. Now, I can look at my training plan and say to myself, "just go run 1 hour." It is a luxury really. I have faith in the plan because I believe in my coach and my training team.

So far this week, the workouts have been great. We had a grueling swim class on Monday that had us up to 700 kick (some with fins) and push ups in between some swim intervals. It was a hard workout but I felt pretty darn good about it afterwards because I knew I had worked hard and done well. I still have my swim issues to work out and I will be getting in the pool as often as possible over the winter break. Hopefully with more time in the water, my stroke form will improve. It did last year when I increased my time in the water.

In addition to the swim, I had Monday night yoga which was wonderful as always, Tuesday morning cycling class which was hard but rewarding, Wednesday morning tempo run which turned out great, and Thursday morning cycling class. Next up is a 1 hour easy run. I plan to head out for that run very soon.

My job now is to follow my plan and just do the workouts. I am going to 'just say no' to skipping workouts and say yes to just doing it.

2 comments:

M Rosen said...

Slogans are great. For years I hated the"just do it" slogan-- it seemed oversimplified. But now it seems just right. Go figure.

Do you have a mantra? You should write a post on that sometime.

allenq said...

That's a great attitude - and a necessary one for someone who is as serious as you about your committments!!