Saturday, December 3, 2011

Let's Race!

Now that I have a coach, I have a training plan. I have direction, structure, and focus. And, I have a race to run. The other day I logged into my Training Peaks to view my upcoming week of prescribed training. I noticed that Karen put the Bear Creek 10 Miler Trail Race on my calendar for Sunday, December 4rd. When I checked the race website, I noticed the race was full. However at track practice, another athlete offered me her spot in the race because she is recovering from an injury and cannot race. So Tuesday, I found out I would be racing on Sunday. It was quite a pleasant surprise because the race sounds challenging but fun.

The Bear Creek 10 miler is a trail race. There are apparently no flat sections on the course and the trails are rooty, covered in leaves, and there are 5 creek crossings. I have been told to be prepared to get my feet wet as there is really no way around it. The course is harder than the downtown trails I have been running on and since I don't know the course at all, it will be difficult to pick my way through the rough terrain. One thing that does favor me is there are no sustained climbs, just lots of short up and downs.

This race is a nice capstone to my week of training. Here is how my exercise week has unfolded thus far.

Monday-Morning Swim, Evening Yoga
Tuesday-Morning Cycling Class, Evening Track Practice
Wednesday- Morning Swim
Thursday-Morning Cycling Class, Evening Run
Friday-Evening Run
Saturday-Morning Cycling Class

I am pretty excited about the race and look forward to getting to know my teammates better. Of course I will blog about the race here when I find some time in between working out, eating, sleeping, working, and of course doing some shopping.

Thanks for reading. Comment below if you are so inclined.

1 comment:

allenq said...

Well, by now your race is over. I hope you did well!

You've gotten an early start on the Pro-K training. I thought it didn't start until the new year.