Thursday, February 4, 2010

Routines and Progression

As I think about what I want to record here for all eternity, I realize that I don't really have any new information. Friends and coworkers often ask me things like, "What have you been up to." Or, "What do you have planned for the weekend." My answer is pretty much always the same. Workout.

My physical therapy is time consuming as I have mentioned but I am very determined to get it all done each day. So my days have pretty much been following a specific routine. I get up for work in the morning and eat my breakfast in the car on the way to work. I work all day at a desk and think about my workouts and about future races. I correspond with Melissa so we can always be on the same page. I go home and ride the bike for 30 minutes and then do my PT. If I manage to get right to it after work, I can sometimes add in an ab workout. Then we eat dinner, clean up, and then I continue my therapy in the form of icing. The routine can sometimes get mundane but I have inspirational reading material that I read before bed each night that helps me make it through it. I also have my facebook where I can keep up with my active friends.

Some people look forward to the weekends to go out to eat or to movies or to hang out with friends. I look forward to the weekends because it means I will have more time to workout and still have time leftover to do some grocery shopping and relax with Melissa. Four hour workouts are the norm for my weekends now. And I actually get started on Friday night. Melissa goes for her workout with a personal trainer and I come home and usually put in a pretty intense workout. It is Friday after all and I always have a little bit more energy due to the fact that-well, it is Friday!

Of course this Sunday is the Superbowl. I don't watch Football anymore. I only watch European soccer. In fact, I have been watching a whole lot more soccer lately. When I do my workouts, I have soccer on the tv. When I bike on the trainer in front of the tv, I turn the sound down on the tv and listen to up tempo music. It helps motivate me. Anyway, there is a very great blog entry about the superbowl written by a talented writer. Please check out the Feb 3rd entry on http://quackenblogger.blogspot.com/.

We might get a weather bonus tomorrow. Inclement weather might get us out of work early. Of course that means more time to workout!

There is one new thing I can report before I end this entry. I have progressed in my exercises. I have added weight to my leg lifts-I am up to 7 pound ankle weights. I have also been able to increase the size of the step I use for my step downs and I have added reps and minutes to some of my other exercises. Each day my knees get slightly better. I still can't do certain things and still have moments of pain but I am happy with my progression so far. I was hoping to get more actual bike rides in outside but the weather has not cooperated.

Just a couple of more weeks to my follow up with my doctor. Eyes on the prize!

2 comments:

allenq said...

Again, you have taken the time to relate the routine aspects of daily living. I must say, working so hard every weekend will certainly serve you well over the upcoming years. Also, it is one of the better ways to fill up a weekend; for years I jogged on Saturday mornings and I think it served me well.

Like you, we are not very avid Superbowl fans; we will probably be watching something else. Have a fun weekend!

Dave said...

thanks for the plug, jim. check out your facebook messages later on for a follow-up comment.