Saturday, February 27, 2010

Out of Shape

This past week, I decided I needed to set some short term goals and maybe a schedule. While the weekend is not over yet, I have yet to do so. I am still not sure exactly what I will be capable of in the coming months so it is hard for me to set goals. I have a long term goal of racing the Shenandoah 100 but I really don't know if I will be able to do that.

This past week I continued with my strength training but moved it from everyday to roughly every other day. In addition to adding some exercises to my rehab routine, I also added some exercises to my upper body workout. I have definitely gotten stronger since I started working my arms, shoulders, and chest but you would not know by looking at me. Not that my goal is to be a fitness model or anything but it is a nice validation to look in the mirror and see a few muscles.

I did reach another milestone this week. Last week I did a 1 mile run in my Vibram Five Fingers. My calves were really killing me for the next week afterwards. They were really tight and sore and with every step I took, I was reminded of that short little run. On Thursday, a week and a day after my 1 mile run, I put on the Five Fingers again and this time had a pleasant 2 mile run. The weather was cold and it was very windy. That part was not pleasant at all. But I ran with Melissa which was a lot of fun. I don't think either of us would have done it by ourselves but together we were able to knock it out. Melissa is training for the Monument Avenue 10K and is putting in a lot more mileage than I am.

Another positive thing about this 2 miler around the neighborhood was my calves did not hurt the next day nor the next. I did more stretching afterwards followed by all my rehab exercises so I think that helped. Also I tried a slight variation on my hamstring stretches that really made a big difference. Basically I copied a pose that I saw on the cover of a yoga DVD at the bookstore. I sat on a yoga block with my legs straight out in front of me. I put a strap around the bottom of my feet and then held the strap with both hands. To make the hamstring stretch even better, I pushed my elbows out to the side and upwards. Wow. That slight adjustment makes a big difference.

Milestone number 2 was my first mountain bike ride on actual trails. I have been riding my trainer and I have done some longish mountain bike rides on the roads around town but this was my first trail ride since I injured myself last year. I did pretty well. The course was pretty muddy in parts that made the ride quite a bit more difficult than if it had been dry. I mostly took it easy but there were some tough obstacles that I managed to make it over as if I had been riding all along. One particular one caught me by surprise and when I made it over the obstacle, I gave a little celebratory "YEAH!" There was no one else around so I let out a pretty nice scream.

One thing I did notice is that I am pretty out of shape. I do have pretty high standards but I could definitely tell that I was breathing harder than I usually would on the particular course I rode. But that is ok. I have been in this position in the past and think I can whip myself back into shape. But I am still not sure about the September race. I really won't know how fit I am until I ride with some of my fellow riders. I felt out of shape out there today. It is amazing how much harder trail riding is than riding on the road. Even though my average speed is much slower on the trails, I end up breathing a lot harder and heating up much more.

Tomorrow I plan to have a mega workout day. Since I did upper body on Friday, I plan to do another upper body workout tomorrow. I also have not gotten in a core workout in a number of days so I plan on doing that as well. Plus I want to get another ride in and it is time for me to do all my rehab work as I did not do any Friday or Saturday. That is a lot of exercising, probably 4 hours or more. And if I have time, I would not mind getting a short trail run in after my mountain bike ride. I am not really getting a good start as it is late and I should be resting up for my big day.

I may have time to do some extra core and upper body workouts next week as we are looking a the possibility of another snow storm that may keep the schools closed and me at home. Of course that means that we also have to stock up at the grocery store tomorrow. Actually we do that every weekend so that is really nothing new.

Finally, I heard that Erwan Le Corre will be putting out a DVD this summer. I am looking forward to incorporating his training methods. I will leave you with link to a video of Erwan "working out." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61t3ObnSP0



2 comments:

allenq said...

It sounds like a nice improvement from the two runs from the first to the second (the two-miler). I gather your knees held up just fine on the later run, which is a very good sign. If it’s just a matter of re-training your body, that will come with time, but if your knees start hurting, then you’ll have to slow it down.

Regarding the bike riding, I’ve noticed that even biking against the wind feels very strenuous to me, more so than running against the wind. I can just imagine how tough biking over bumps and ruts would be!

Keep up the good work!

M Rosen said...

you'll feel better when you ride with your friends and you're still able to beat the pants off them the first time out, I am sure. :)