Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Anniversary Trip to Italy: Rome Day 3

On our third and final day in Rome, we pretty much had a free day to walk around and see whatever we wanted. We decided to first go ahead and see how long it would take us to walk to the train station the next day. We were getting better at using the map to get around. In Italy, most of the streets don't have street signs. Instead, the name of the road is engraved on the side of buildings. It was good to learn that little detail.

On our way back to our hotel to get our camera and use the bathroom one more time, a woman driving one of those little Italian cars turned in front of us as we were waiting for the traffic light to change. I noticed her front passenger side tire was flat. In fact, it had just happened and she was pulling over in distress. I approached her and asked if she needed help. She looked at me funny. I said, "do you have a spare?" She said, "I might have spare." I figured out how to get the spare out and proceeded to change her tire for her. It is really the only thing I know how to do on a car other than put gas in it. I got a little greasy but after about 15 minutes, I had her up and going on her full size spare. Her English was not great but was better than my Italian. She wondered what she could do for me. I told her nothing was necessary and that I was glad to help. She told us her name and we told her our names and then we continued on. Hopefully she now has a great impression of Americans. She said, "you saved me." It was nice.

On our walkabout, we took pictures of this and that. Almost every street corner has a sculpture or something interesting to look at.




There are tons of scooters in Rome.







This is the site where they had the ancient chariot races

More of the Ruins


Another shot of the Trevi Fountain

Billboard

Spanish Steps

Candid shot of Melissa doing a little window shopping


Is it a sidewalk or a street?

Yes. They have McDonalds in Italy.

All our hotel rooms had these extra fixtures in addition to the toilet, sink, and shower

Our Hotel Room and Melissa who like me was pooped after walking and seeing all the sites.
Those of you who know me know that I don't typically eat sweets. But when in Rome, do like the Romans.

No comments: