Tuesday, March 30, 2010

As the young people say, "It's ON!"

A while back I mentioned that I was considering an upcoming Duathlon in the Fredericksburg area. Since that time, the trash talk has been flying amongst my friends and bets have even been made. In the words of young people, "It is ON!" My friends and I are competing against each other with the loser buying the winner dinner. So now I have a new Mantra that I have been using in my training. My new Mantra is "Must crush Mario!"

Last time I mentioned that I did a 3 hour ride a week ago Saturday. I followed that up with a 2 hour trail ride on Sunday at a different park. I was pretty beat and was ready for the ride to be over for the last 20 minutes of the ride.

This past Sunday, I rode from my house to Poor Farm Park in Hanover county. It was about 18 miles of road riding to get to the park where I met up with Melissa, Rachel and Jeff who drove there. The four of us rode for about 45 minutes before Melissa needed to head home. Remember she had PRd the Monument Avenue 10k the day before plus she still had swim practice later that day. After seeing Melissa off, the three of us continued to ride for another 2 hours on the trails. My quads were definitely feeling it on the final climbs that we did. Rather than ride the 18 miles back home, I caught a ride with Jeff and Rachel back home. It was a really great bike workout and I was glad to get the miles in.

After I got back from the ride, I went to the grocery store to pick up dinner for the next couple of days and to reload my fruit supply. I was pretty tired when I got back but I still wanted to get in my PT. I managed to fight my way through all my PT exercises to further work my legs. After all that, I was truly pooped.

Monday brought big rain and even some local flooding. When I got home from work Monday I was tired and really just felt like taking a nap. But I knew I had to keep pushing it so I could get ready for the race. So I did all my upper body and core work followed of course by the fruit-protein powder-smoothie.

Today after work, I got a different kind of workout in. I mowed the grass and started working on the garden. We had some mint that was taking over the garden and we decided we better eradicate it. So I pulled up lots of weeds and old plants left over from last summer and went mint hunting. I filled up a trashcan with all the mint plants and roots that were living a few inches under the surface of the garden. I made lots of progress but we still have a lot to do on the garden to prepare it for the bees which are coming April 10th.

I still have a lot of training to do but there is not really all that much time between now and race day. Friday, I plan to boogie up to Fredericksburg after work and check out the race venue. I will ride some of the trails and see what exactly I have gotten myself into. I think I will have an advantage on my friends because I will get a sneak preview of the course. I still have not run all that much but I am working on it little by little. On race day, I will just give it my all and then be sore for a few days. Why not? That is what ice and Motrin is for.

This weekend is Easter so I won't get too many workouts in. My parents and brother are coming into town on Saturday. Sunday after church we will all go walk up an down Monument Avenue which will be closed to street traffic for Easter on Parade. It looks like the weather will be perfect for the event. I will likely wear my VFFs which will be good training in itself.

It is 2 and half weeks until the race. The countdown to the challenge has begun.

1 comment:

allenq said...

Well, I can only say "Good for you" and I wish you the best! It seems as if it is a bit too soon for such a strenuous event. On the other hand, you are wisely prepping yourself fairly strenuously.

I assume the "duo" involves running and biking events? Again, all the best!