Saturday, March 27, 2010

Logistical Mistake

Earlier today the 11th Annual Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K took place here in Richmond. As you all probably know, I am still recovering from knee surgery and have not really been doing much running. I am working on it and hopefully next year I will be able to run the race.

The Monument 1oK is a big race with over 39000 participants this year. The race is a fun spectacle with bands, cheerleaders, a dress up and run contest, lots of cheering spectators, and super organization.

This year, my wife's brother and son came to run. They had come once before a few years ago. It was really fun to have them stay with us and run the race. This year would have been my 5th 10K but instead I had a different job on race morning. It was cold this morning so the runners had to bring some extra clothing that they wanted to shed right before the start. I was charged with driving to the venue and hanging out with the runners and then holding their sweatshirts, etc during the race.

We made one big logistical mistake this year. We left the house too late and hit tons of traffic on Cary Street. I finally had to have all the runner get out and walk to the start while I sat in traffic waiting to get into one of the parking garages. Our nephew Chad was half way done before I even got parked. I had setup athlete tracking on the Sportsbackers.org website so I got email alerts sent to my Blackberry when my runners got to the half way point and when they finished.

After finally getting parked, I ran to the start and went looking for Melissa. I ran up and down Broad Street looking for the runners. I was slightly anxious because in my mind, I had fallen down on the job. I was picturing Chad giving his stuff to Dave and then when it was Dave's turn to run, he would give all the stuff to Melissa who was in a later wave. I figured they thought I would be there before Melissa's wave. I was imagining Melissa stuck with all this stuff and having to run with it.

Finally I decided I was not going to find her at the start so I made my way across the course and started walking up Monument Avenue. I figured I would walk towards the turn around point and try to wave Melissa down and take her stuff from her so she could at least finish the race without the burden of stuff. I got about a half mile from the turnaround when my Blackberry showed that she had hit the half way point in 33 minutes. Melissa was really cooking-running 11 minute miles. I stopped walking and started looking for her. But alas I never saw her and after a fair amount of time went by I realized that I just must have missed her. So I went over to a parallel road and starting jogging back to the finish. While jogging back, I got the email notice that she had finished the race in a record time. So I peeled off a few layers and picked up the pace. I estimate that I must have run about 3 miles or more in my search to find Melissa.

I finally found her at the finish area. I was so relieved. She had checked a bag with all of the runner's stuff. So she got to run unencumbered. And she PR'd. I was so happy for her. She looked great, had a smile on her face and seemed pretty excited about her result. Her hard work at Endorphin fitness, the University of Richmond Pool, and running around our neighborhood really paid off I think. Who knows what her next event will be. I am thinking that the more she does, the more fun she will have and I am very proud of her efforts.

For me, I ended up getting a little workout which will pay off in my own athletic endeavors. Tomorrow I am planning a jumbo bike ride from my house to Poor Farm. Melissa and our friends Jeff and Rachel are going to meet me at Poor Farm so we can ride the trails together. Then I will either ride home or take a lift from Melissa.

2 comments:

allenq said...

Sounds like you had “one of those days”! Chasing around like that and not finding anyone must have been very frustrating! It’s a good thing you set up that automatic notification scheme!

I’m glad Missy had a PR! Chad placed 144th out of all those thousands! Great runs by both of them (and you too)!!

Jim Rosen said...

Yeah! Allen is back! My most faithful reader and commenter!