Thursday, April 8, 2010

Busy, Busy

Now that spring is in full effect, I have been very busy and have not had much time to organize my thoughts and update my blog. Also, I have not gotten nearly enough workouts in for the upcoming Duo in Fredericksburg. At this point, I probably cannot gain too much fitness before the race so I am not going to worry about it too much.

Last weekend was Easter. We enjoyed having my parents and brother John for the weekend. We had a nice time at church, enjoyed some good meals, and did some nice walks. Needless to say, I did not get to workout at all. I probably could have used the rest but I feel like I have been slacking off. In actuality I have been busy doing some yard chores and have had less time for a traditional workout. But these chores must be done. We have been preparing the garden and the yard for the bees. Melissa is picking up her bees this Saturday. You can read about her bee adventures on her blog at http://houseofbees.wordpress.com.

On Wednesday I was able to preview the bike course for the upcoming Duo. Myself and two friends went up to Fredericksburg to ride some of the trails. We did not get to all of them but we did enough to learn that the race will be very difficult. The run is going to be hilly and the bike is extremely hilly, twisty, single track with lots of log obstacles. Some of them are the kind that are angled across the trail and on the uphill. We really only rode a portion of the course so I am planning to go up again this Saturday to ride the other side of the course.

Earlier tonight I did manage to get my upper body strength and core training done. I pushed it hard and had a really good workout. I always feel really great after these workouts. I think I am satisfied with the hard work that I put in. In the past, I have always said that I would like to do more strength and core work but then never got around to it. But nowadays, I am super motivated to keep up with the core and upper body training. It is something that I have always neglected for as long as I can remember. In college I did some strength work in a physical education class but that was short lived.

Tomorrow is shaping up to be a long day. My plan is to get up and have a nice breakfast and then continue working in the yard. The section of the yard for the bees is complete. However, I still have a lot of leaves to remove before I can cut the grass in the back yard and side yard that is closest to the bees. I want to cut it short as I plan to only go back near the bees when absolutely necessary. I actually hate bees but I am going to try to overcome my fear. It is going to take some behavior modification tricks-something I know a lot about. But for now, I don't want to have to cut the grass near the bees for a while. I usually don't have to cut the back all too often. Hopefully I will be used to them by the time it needs cutting again.

After I finish up these chores including cutting the front yard, I will head out for my ride. I have to make sure I get back by 4PM so I can watch some of the Super Classico (Real Madrid vs Barcelona) before the bees show up. Then I will do my official job of shooting pictures and videos of the bees being installed. Hopefully some of the pictures will turn up on Melissa's blog.

One week until the race!




2 comments:

allenq said...

Well, I never thought about the possibility of getting stung while mowing. Somehow, I had this notion in my head that nice little honey bees aren’t the stinging kind!

Looks like a tough competition coming up this week. Whether you beat Mario or not, you win just by being in a competition so relatively soon after your operation. Just be sure to take care of yourself and don’t hesitate to STOP if that becomes necessary!

Best of luck!

Jim Rosen said...

Thanks Allen. I know when to stop. I am not one of those guys who pushes through immense pain. I never did understand that mentality.