Thursday, January 29, 2015

PowerTap Grassroots Athlete

It's a new year with new challenges and opportunities. This year, I decided to apply to be a PowerTap grassroots athlete. Instead of reinventing the wheel, here is an explanation about what that is from PowerTap.com.

"PowerTap is proud to support and sponsor athletes at all levels of Cycling and Triathlon disciplines. Our goal is to support the exceptional athletes who support our brand through racing and training using our products. Our grassroots level sponsorship allows athletes access to discounted product to help them pursue their competitive goals."

Applying to be a sponsored athlete simply required submitting a one minute video. It was hard to keep it to one minute. After running through it a couple of times in front of the computer, I felt like I was getting nowhere. I came across as stiff and it looked like I was reading the text I had written for the video. It was also hard to cram in all the necessary required information and still sound vaguely interesting. Finally, Melissa offered to use my phone to make the video. I scrapped my script and wrote out bullet points. We did one take and it was good enough. Here is the video below.



And you know what? It worked! I have been accepted in the PowerTap Grassroots Athletes program. What does this mean for me exactly? Well, it simply means I will be promoting PowerTap and PowerTap products as I train and race in triathlons and other events. I have agreed to forward promotions, sales, new product announcements, etc to my friends and to represent PowerTap at events. It is going to be fun. In return, PowerTap will give me up to 25 percent off of items in their online store. That is a huge discount considering the products they sell are not cheap. I happen to be in the market for new trainer so I will be able to put the discount to use sooner than later. Mostly though, I think I will have fun using social media to promote the PowerTap brand. It will be a learning experience and will be one more training tool for me. Getting excited about promotions, products, and events will inject additional fun into my training and racing schedule. Plus I can represent Richmond, the Richmond Triathlon Community and DLMultisports.

I will be attempting to blog more as that is part of the deal. So you might see some shorter but more frequent blog posts from me. I appreciate you reading and if you want to learn more about PowerTap or CycleOps, please check out their websites and see what they have to offer. In my next installment, I will describe how my PowerTap G3 power meter has helped me train smart and get faster and stronger in a short amount of time. Thanks for reading. As always, comments are appreciated.

No comments: