Monday, March 20, 2023

RiverRock Bust the Banks Half Marathon Trail Run

 

It was a hot and humid day on Sunday in RVA. The annual Riverrock festival was back in downtown Richmond along and through the James River park system and the other open spaces surrounding the River. I have done many of the Riverrock events over the years and always have a great time. This year, I stuck to just one event, the "Bust the Banks" half marathon trail race. 

Of course, simply driving down there and racing does not jive with my preferred activity parameter of "no driving". So instead, I got up at 5 AM and left about 5:53 on my bike with backpack full of all my running gear which included my hydration pack. For this hot day, I had 2 liters of water in my bladder. Thankfully, a friend of mine agreed to let me stop over at his house and store my bike and bike gear. I then did a short run down to the venue.

Here are some details for the first two segments of my day of human powered movement.

Ride to Jon's house
https://strava.app.link/bK83zx7Weqb

Run to venue
https://strava.app.link/tw4fMgdXeqb


I arrived at the venue about 10 minutes before go time. I had a chance to quickly take care of business in the porta john before getting into the starting corral. It was indeed hot so, while I was up front at the start, I planned to take it easy. In addition to the heat, I had not really been training that much and had run one 5 miler in the last couple of weeks. That plus a few bike workouts was the extent of my exercise leading up to the race. 

The trails were fantastic and I had a great time racing! I paced myself well I think and managed to have lots of energy for the final part of the race on the Northbank trails. It was really a glorious day to be out on the trails, sharing my effort with strangers and thanking all the volunteers as I passed by. In the end, I knew I had done fairly well but later when I got home, I discovered I had come in second of 17 in my age group, M50-59. Not too shabby!

Bust the Banks Half Marathon
https://strava.app.link/YNaXXGgXeqb







No comments: