Friday, July 21, 2017

The Kinetic Triathlon Festival






Before Ironman Texas, I decided that if I felt up to it, I would race again a few weeks later at the Kinetic Triathlon Festival at Lake Anna which is only about an hours drive from my house. After a couple weeks of recovery, I decided to pull the trigger and register for the Kinetic Half. 

Unfortunately, the race was full. I inquired with the race company and they said that if someone dropped out, an entry would be added. On the last day of registration, I kept checking the website on and off all day. No luck. When I got home, I decided I would try one more time. Bingo! One entry was added and I was able to register for the race. 

I had no real goals or expectations other than to run better than I did in Texas. I did have a specific power goal for the bike that my coach gave me. I thought he was asking a lot and the power seemed high to me. But then again, I had just completed the best power test of my life the week before. It turns out that doing an Ironman and then getting a little rest is a good way to boost performance. 

I had such a good time at the race. The swim was wetsuit legal which was great. It was relatively easy and there was nothing notable about the swim. On the bike, I hit my power numbers on the dot which surprised and delighted me. And then on the run, I was able to pace myself well. At Kinetic there is one long hill out of T1 that lasts for about a mile. And since the run course is three loops, you have to run it 3 times. Despite the hill, I had a great run and actually beat my half marathon PR by about a minute. I didn't even realize that until I sat down to write this report. 

Here are my age group results for the race. I left before the awards but was able to pay to have my trophy mailed to me. 













Here is a short video that the race company put together. I am not in the video but it shows some fit people swimming, biking and running. 

https://www.facebook.com/1124833734203926/videos/1127403090613657/

Next year the race is on my birthday. Care to join me? 





No comments: