Friday, June 8, 2012

Now I have done it!

A lot has happened since my last blog post. Melissa and I had a wonderful trip to the beach where we relaxed, trained, ate lots of fresh fish, and really enjoyed being on vacation. We did race a 5K while were down there. I just could not resist and Melissa is such a good sport, she joined in. It was hot but fun.

After our beach trip to the Outer Banks, we went to Philadelphia for the Pro Cycling Tour. We worked registration on Saturday and then rode in the technical directors car during the multi-lap pro cycling race on Sunday. It was a great experience to be behind the scenes and see all the players from Motos and UCI officials to feed station workers to the racers themselves. We saw it all.

Finally, perhaps the most significant thing that I have done since last writing involves a race I signed up for. I signed up for an Ironman. Yes, I will be racing the "Beach to Battleship" in Willmington, North Carolina on October 21st. From what I read, the 2.4 mile swim for this race will be the "easiest" one might find in the Ironman distance. The race is not a Ford Ironman branded race but it is a big race with lots of support that comes close to a Ford Ironman. I heard the 112 mile bike course is relatively flat although wind can play a big factor. The 26.2 mile run course is also mostly flat.

So now the real training begins. Fortunately, many of the folks I am training with are doing Ironman Florida which is roughly the same time of year so I have people with which to train.  I have a good base and as long as I stay healthy, I should be successful at the race. Since the race was so expensive, I will not be doing any more races leading up to this one. Although I would not rule out the 2 mile sand dune race in the Outer Banks on the 4th of July.

Needless to say, I am going to be busy. I hope to keep blogging about my training although fitting in all the training, plus work, all the various chores, not to mention the extra rest I will need may find me with less time to write. But I will try to make shorter updates so I can chronicle my training.

So stay tuned for my saga. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

yay!! sooo excited for you!

allenq said...

A big race and a big challange!!
Just around 4 months to prep for it. We'll be looking forward to your updates.