Monday, April 9, 2012

Race Week



Race week yet again. Saturday kicks of the triathlon racing season as I toe the line for the Rumpus in Bumpass International Triathlon. It will be my 3rd race of the season but my first triathlon. Last year was my first year in triathlon and I did 6 races. As I start my second season, it will be interesting to see how I stack up against other racers as compared to last year. Last year I did 2 open water races but not with a wetsuit. Saturday's race will be my first wetsuit race.

My plan for this race is to go out and see what I can do. While I do plan to leave it all out on the course, I don't necessarily have any specific expectations or time goals. Mostly, I will be gauging my overall fitness and ability compared to last year. I have made gains in my swimming technique and fitness but I still tire during long swims and likely will have to take some breathers here and there throughout the swim portion of the race. I have also made gains in my biking technique and fitness. During my last couple of training rides, I was able to keep my cadence up and travel a higher average speed. My goal for the swim is to try to find a nice draft and not stop as much as possible. On the bike my goal is to keep my cadence up, push the biggest gear I can stay on top of (as Craig from RCC would say), and take in some nutrition. Finally for the run, I plan to just run as fast as possible, trying to negative split the 10K which is going to be the biggest challenge of the whole race for me.

Training with people who are faster and stronger has definitely pushed me and makes me work harder. Just like when I played soccer with my older brothers and their friends when I was young, training with stronger athletes is a definite plus. Just today I read an article about Lance Armstrong and his training plan for Ironman. Turns out he is going to ride with some current pro cyclists who train harder and faster than most triathletes. While I am not training with pros, I am training with multiple Ironman finishers who know how to kill it on the bike. And it has been great fun.

I still have a few workouts left to complete this week before I wake up before the sun and head out for my race. Overall, I am feeling pretty confident and hopeful. I am looking forward to the race. Not only do I want to do well for myself but I also want to do well for my coach. I want to show her that I appreciate her guidance and planning. It is also fun to feel like I am racing for on a team. Even though there will be no team tactics in this race, I sill feel like I am representing Pro K Racing.

1 comment:

allenq said...

"Sounds like a plan", as they say.We'll be wishing you the best!