Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Heat is On

The heat has arrived in Richmond just in time for the 10K. Actually while it is quite warm, it is not quite hot. But the humidity is so high that when exercising, the body has trouble regulating its temperature. Typically when a human sweats, the sweat evaporates and takes the heat away from the body. But in Richmond, the sweat just pours off the body into little puddles. No evaporation, no cooling.

Luckily this summer-like weather has come a week or two before the 10K so we can all get slightly acclimated before the big race. I have done one hard workout in the heat and one easy run in the heat. The temperature makes a big difference in performance when exercising and it was evident in my workouts. When it is very hot, the body diverts more blood to surface areas of the body to assist with cooling. That means there is less blood flow to the muscles. Less blood flow to the muscles means less fuel being delivered to the muscles. The heart has to work harder and the muscles have to work with less.

Who knows what the weather will be like on race day. Right now, they are calling for a high of around 70 with an over night low around 50. Starting the race at 50+ degrees would be perfect for me. I won't need a hat, gloves, or arm warmers. I will likely need something warm and dry to change into after the race. I typically get cold once I cool down after a hard effort. We will be hanging around the finish for quite some time as we meet up with our family and friends and I want to be comfortable. Luckily, I can either check a bag at the bag check or go back to the car real quick after the race and pick up a dry shirt.

I am very much looking forward to the race and hope to PR. Last year I ran a 43. My training has been much different this year. I have been swimming and biking more and my track work this year has been very different from last year. As long as I pace myself well, I should be able to beat 43. Of course, this year will be warmer than last year which could affect my time. Plus both knees are a little gimpy at this point.

I am hoping to write one more blog post before the race but if not, I will certainly return here to give you my race report.

1 comment:

Rachel Chieppa said...

Good luck to you! I'll be hoping you get a nice weather day. Not too hot...Not too cold!