Saturday, November 19, 2011

It is Official

Today I took the plunge and officially signed up with Pro K training. I have been swimming with Karen's guppies class for about a year now and I have been going to track workouts for about a month or so. Also we just completed our 3rd week of cycling at Richmond Cycling Corporation. I have enjoyed the workouts and the people. It's nice to get to know like-minded individuals who share a passion for health, exercise, and camaraderie. Quite refreshing really.

Not to bash my former soccer teammates too much. But I got the feeling they were weekend warriors who were more concerned with football, beer, and partying when not on the soccer field while I was more dedicated to staying fit throughout the week. Not everyone was like that but there were just enough to turn me off a bit.

There is still some gentle trash talking amongst my new triathlon friends but it is not hateful. For some reason when you put a bunch of guys together, they tend to bash each other. It is as if that is the only way they know how to communicate. Pro K training is a community of co-ed athletes with various levels of skill, strength, talent, and experience (way more than me) who work together to train their minds and bodies for the rigors of Triathlon.

Before I signed up with Karen (that is where the K comes from in Pro K), I had to piece together my 2012 plans so she could train me properly. I have set out a very ambitious schedule. This past season I completed 6 triathlons, 3 running races, and a mountain bike race. Not too shabby. This year, I have decided on 3 running races and 6 or 7 triathlons. Also I will be tackling longer races. I am still going to race nothing longer than a half ironman distance race but in 2012, I am planning two Halfs as well as more International distances rather than sprint distance races.

My first race of the season is tentative at this point. On January 14th, there is a 35K trail run that I have been toying with. Right now I am not sure if my knees can handle all the hill work. I am still bothered by my knees with good days and bad days throughout the week. The more I sit at work, the worse they get. If I am going to do this trail race, I am going to have to make good friends with my foam roller as well as do some strength training.

I am excited to be training with my new group and am looking forward to the 2012 race season. It won't be all exercise. I do want to carve out some beach time this summer. Last summer I got zero hours on the beach. Not that I am a beach bum or anything but I do enjoy the laid back atmosphere of lying on the beach, reading a magazine, falling asleep, etc.

That is about all I have for you right now. Comments are appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

hpatrick said...

Way to go, Jim! Sending good vibes that the knees cooperate, especially when you need them to.

allenq said...

I, for one, admire your intense dedication to fitness and diet, although I expect some might regard it as overkill. It's obvious that it makes you more aware of others around you and the direction of society in general, and I think that's good.
It looks like you're stepping it up a notch in the upcoming year.
I only hope your knees hold out!