Sunday, October 2, 2011

Post Race Slowdown

Sleeping in until 7 AM during the week, sleeping in on weekends, doing yard work, watching Hulu, spending quiet time with Melissa. These are just some of the things I have been doing more of since I finished my race season. It has been relaxing and a nice change of pace. Melissa and I even made it out to a movie one weekend. Unfortunately, I also got a cold and missed a few days of work. In reality I don't know if I was just suffering from bad allergies or if I had a cold. Most likely it was just allergies. Either way, I could not breathe and had some other nasty symptoms.

I ended up my season with six Triathlons and one 10K. While I plan to do some 5Ks over the next couple of months, I have no big events on the calendar. After my last race, I decided to just lay low and try not to plan too much. I will continue to swim with Karen's class and Melissa and I do yoga on Monday nights. Plus last week, we started to participate in Karen's track workouts on Tuesday nights. Last week was our first workout but I think it will become a regular occurrence.

Starting in November, Melissa and I will start an indoor cycling class that will take place from 6AM to 7AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well as a longer ride on Saturdays from 7AM until we get tired or bored. All of these sessions will be coached and I am looking forward to getting better, stronger, and faster on the bike. All of these sessions will take place indoors on Kinetic Fluid Trainers using our own bikes. I also plan to get into the pool on my own again, something I have not done since the race.

In addition to these planned workouts, I also need to get back into doing more core and strengthening work. I sort of slacked off in that department midway through the 2011 season. For me, core work is not my most favorite but I can definitely tell a difference in the way my body feels when I strengthen my core. It can make a big difference on race day.

So while I have definitely slowed down after the race, I have not totally stopped working out. The number of workouts and the length of my workouts has gone way down. But my calendar is quickly filling up starting in November. I am looking forward to getting back on the bandwagon. I have lots of work to do to improve, build endurance, and get ready for year two of triathlon racing.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Dirk Lind said...

The Kurtz!

Jim Rosen said...

Another test from me.

allenq said...

Sounds like a plan!!

Rachel Chieppa said...

I am glad you have been able to slow things down a little and enjoy yourself. Everyone needs a break before gearing up for the next season!