Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Post Race Update

You may wonder what one does after competing in a somewhat difficult race? Fpr me, step 1 after finishing was packing up and leaving the venue. I stuck around for a little to rest a bit but then we bugged out. We had about 2 and half hours to drive home and if we got a move on, we would still have lots of Saturday left.

We thought about trying to find something to eat in Luray but honestly, I did not have much faith in our options. I am sure there is healthy food somewhere in Luray but I did not have the energy to search for it. So we hit the road and decided to snack on a few things and see how far we got before having to have a proper meal.

As we were driving through Culpepper, our stomachs were groaning and reminding us how hungry we were. So we parked right on the street in downtown Culpepper and walked in to the first eatery we came to. It was a sub and sandwich place with Deli in the name. I took one look at the menu and decided I could definitely eat a veggie sub with no cheese. The food was all made fresh to order by the owner Sal, or Nick, or Vinny. I did not actually catch the proprietors name but he seemed like a genuine transplant from New York. And his subs did not disappoint. Why can't we get sandwiches and subs like that in Richmond?

After devouring my 12 inch sub and eating the little bits of crusty bread discarded by Melissa, we drove the rest of the way home. Interestingly enough, I had a bottle of water, two cans of coconut water, plus 750 ML of additional water after the race but I did not have to stop to use the bathroom at all. I guess my body really needed replenishing.

Upon arriving home, I was hungry again. So we decided to get cleaned up and go to dinner and a movie. Can you believe it? A proverbial night on the town. Well at least a night at the mall. We went to a Thai place and I again devoured the appetizers and my big meal and then we went and saw a movie.

I slept like a log that night and spent most of the next day relaxing, napping, eating and drinking. Monday I went back to work but otherwise took another rest day.

That is what I did after my race. What about Matias Palavecino? What did he do after winning Saturday's Luray International Triathlon in a time of 02:04:28 (my time was 03:15:03). Well, he competed in the Sunday Luray Sprint Triathlon and won that as well. I was wiped out for two days after my once race. This guy races two races in one weekend and wins them both. Not only did he win but in Saturday's race, he beat the second and third place finishers by 6 minutes!

Matias's performance plus all the other super fit triathletes who passed me on the bike acted to inspire me. When the alarm went off Tuesday morning, I was ready to get back to training and do my best make myself a stronger racer. I have not nailed every workout since the race but I feel pretty good about my training over all. I have two more weeks of training before race week. During race week, I still train but at a much smaller volume and with less intensity. Hopefully Irene won't wash out my plans for the weekend. I think if I get up early enough on Saturday I can get my long ride and run in. I may have to run in some rain on Sunday but as long as we are not having hurricane weather, I think I will be up for it. It could rain on race day after all.

Finally, here are some pictures from the pros from my race. You can click on each thumbnail and to see the bigger picture. Then click on the X to close it. The photographers did a great job. I managed to make a funny face in a couple of the bike pictures. I was having fun!

Link to Pictures

3 comments:

allenq said...

Nice pictures!
Know what you mean about no urination after a tough workout! You shed about a quart of water thru sweating during all that exertion!
I guess by now you're getting used to that Spartan diet. It's been about 7 Mos. already.

M Rosen said...

It was Bella Mia's Italian-American Deli. His name was Carmine-- his business (and others) sustained damage from the earthquake yesterday: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/121984170/CQ-Roll-Call-Group

Jim Rosen said...

Major bummer. His place was condemned.