Thursday, May 5, 2011

Training is not everything

I am sad to report that my Aunt Donna passed away this past Sunday after a fight against cancer. Although she is no longer with us, cancer did not win. For now she is in a better place.

Donna was a very loving and spiritual person who took very good care of her husband and two sons. Donna was 1 of 8 and the youngest in my dad's family. Born in Fort Dodge Iowa, Donna moved with the rest of the family to Southwest Virginia as a young lady where she spent the remainder of her life. She had many friends and family and we will all miss her very much.

I had the opportunity to drive up to NOVA to pick up my dad and then drive him down to see Donna while she was alive and able to remember my dad. I was grateful to be able to see her and to help my dad see her and say his goodbyes. Donna's face lit up when her husband announced that her brother Dan was there.

After our quick trip down to Southwest VA, we returned to our homes only to get the news of her passing a few days later. This time Melissa and I drove straight from Richmond and another brother drove my parents and another brother down to Marion, VA where the service was held. There were many family members from the Midwest and South in attendance and a large number of local friends and family. In fact, the service was packed and I am not sure I have ever been to a funeral service with so many people in attendance.

I held up pretty well during the service. That is, until the mountain music started. There was a group of players and singers with guitars and mandolin who picked and sang beautifully. It was very moving and the tears instantly started to trickle down my face from the first string being plucked. After a few songs and some more scripture reading, they played amazing grace. Some people sang along. I simply listened and teared up as they played. Again, the music was very moving and I was sitting directly in front of a big screen with Donna's beautiful smile looking right at me. I was sad but also relieved that she was no longer suffering.

After the service, there was a receiving line that stretched out of sight. It took hours for everyone to make it through the line. I think every single person in attendance took the time to wait in line and meet with the family.

Once the receiving line finally was completed, we all went out for dinner across the street. It was a big group and we pretty much took over the upstairs of the Marion Macadoos. It was a bit hectic and loud of course. Some of my cousins and aunts broke into song a few times and my one cousin sang a song by herself. It was neat to see everyone but as quickly as the evening began, it ended and we all went our separate ways.

After spending the night in the hotel again, we headed back to Richmond and my parents back to NOVA. Once we got home, we were pretty tired so we took a nap and relaxed. It was tempting to try to get a workout in but in the end, I think resting was the right thing to do.

All in all, I missed about 5 days of training but training is not everything. It is important to support family and spend time together especially in times of sorrow. I am glad that I took the time to visit with everyone. Now that I am back home and rested though, it is time to ramp up the training for a week or two before some more races. Next time, I will detail my new race schedule and talk about some of the decisions I have to make.

3 comments:

allenq said...

We're sorry to hear about your Aunt's passing. It sounds like she was a popular and much-loved person.
It was good that you and your dad were able to visit her shortly before she passed.

deerjohn13 said...

Jim,

I'm glad you guys got to come out and see mom off. Thanks again for all your support.

Rachel Chieppa said...

You and your family are in our thoughts. It sounds like the service was very special. We love you!!