Sunday, February 13, 2011

Workout Weekend

This weekend was a workout weekend. Actually most of my weekends are but I managed to get in an extra workout this weekend and really did not get much else done. Here is the recap.

Saturday morning we ran with our training team. Melissa ran 6.2 and I ended up just shy of 8 miles. The pace seemed pretty quick for me and if you look at the data, you will see I was mostly in zone 3. Most everything I have read says to train in zones 1 to 2 or 4 to 5 but not in 3. I definitely need to get on top of my zones. Also I think I will run with slightly slower runners next Saturday and see how that goes. After our run which is posted below, we went to the pool for a 1 hour swim. I was pretty tired so I took it easy although still ended up with at least a 1000 yards of swimming drills. Afterwards, we went to Whole Foods to shop and eat lunch. I had a huge lunch of greens, salad, some vegetable rice, and a few bites of Indian Food. We spent the rest of the afternoon running errands and doing some shopping before retiring to the homestead for the rest of the evening.


On Sunday we got up and did 90 minutes of Yoga X before going to church. After church, we went straight to the pool for another 1 hour swim. I was able to push it a little harder in the pool and managed to do a lot of drills with less rest than the day before. After our swim, I went on a bike ride for about an hour. It was very windy so that really slowed me down and made me work extra hard. I felt like I was pushing it hard the whole time. Considering all that I had already done that day plus the wind, I felt pretty good about my time and pace on the bike. It is still early in the season and I still have time to get stronger on the bike. The details of the bike workout are below.


After the bike ride I did my 3 mile run. Again, I probably went too fast although my training plan does not really specify "easy run." But again, I ended up mostly in zone 3 for most of the run. Then again, sometimes it is nice to know how fast I can go after a hard bike and lots of swimming. Granted I get more time in between disciplines than I would during a race, however, I think my numbers show that with more than a month of training left, I have a chance to perform well in my age group.

Perhaps next year, as I continue to train and improve, I may even get close to the podium in my age group for some of these local races. Placing in my age group would actually be a pretty spectacular accomplishment and I am not sure it is even realistic. However, if I continue to work hard and avoid injury, there is a possibility. Also since I plan to do this well into old age, I figure eventually I will place once I am old enough. After all, I just watched the Ford Ironman 2010 World Championship in a replay on the computer and saw an 80 year old man finish. WOW! That could be me someday if I play my cards right.

Here are the numbers and map from my 3 miler from today.

That about wraps it up for now. It is not too enthralling, I know. But it is nice to share with you all and it is nice to keep a training journal in this manner. This next week, we add another day of running to our schedules. It is time to step it up once more. Adding another workout will be tough because I still want to continue with P90X but as long as I get enough rest, I should be able to do it. Thanks for reading.


3 comments:

M Rosen said...

make sure you rest, too. you don't want to overtrain.

allenq said...

I remember how hard it is to ride a bike against the wind. Very difficult!!
Sounds like the workouts are progressing well!

Rachel Chieppa said...

Good weekend results! I really like the garmin maps! Pretty cool!!! Maybe this Spring we can all bike together!