Saturday, September 19, 2026

Odyssey Trail Running Rampage 50k- So many Rocks, So Much Humidity

I had been running and hiking for about 6 hours. The humidity had been relentless all day and showed no signs of letting up. My shirt, shorts, socks, and shoes were soaked with sweat. And I stunk to high heaven.

My feet, particularly my right heel was sore and I could feel some hot spots starting to dominate my attention. The bee sting I got around mile 5 of the race was still throbbing. At this point in the race, I had covered over 22+ miles and probably about 4000+ feet of climbing and descending on rocky terrain. I only had a few miles to go before I completed my second 13 mile loop. That meant I would only have one shorter, more forgiving 6 mile loop that did not include the brutal 2+ mile climb I had conquered twice already. It was that time in the race where I started to do the math. What would my finishing time look like? Would I beat the intermediary cutoff? Could I finish in 8 hours or would it be closer to 9 hours? 

My legs felt pretty good all things considered and while my energy level had fallen some, I was not yet on a death march that you see at the end of long races sometimes. When I used to do Ironman races, I would often see people walking like zombies towards the end of a race, trying their best to make the midnight cutoff. I was still moving forward consistently, although I had to walk more as my feet complained about the beating they were taking on the rockier sections. 

One thing for sure, I was carrying too much food. I had overpacked my running pack with various gels, chews, and other performance food. While I had completed the race distance in the past, this was my first really big 50K with lots of rocky terrain, steep climbs and descents, and the absence of anything resembling flat. I wanted to make sure to get enough fuel. I knew from experience that under-fueling caused my energy levels to drop late in a race. But it looks like I had packed my fears. I probably had slightly too much fluid in my pack as well but I always like to bring a little extra hydration just in case. 

As a result of the heavy pack and all the miles, my shoulders were starting to get fatigued. I was still not 100 percent recovered from a dislocated shoulder that I suffered in January after a fall on the ice. I had been going to physical therapy for months and was mostly healed up. But some fatigue was starting to set in which was just one more little achy niggle to add to the others. But overall, it was not something that would cause me to stop or give up. I motored on, imagining the cold chocolate milk I had in the fridge back in my van at the campsite in beautiful Douthat State Park in Virginia. 


As I continued to soldier on, mostly alone on the course as tends to happen in small trail races where participants get spread out all of the course, my Garmin ticked over 26 miles. I had finished a marathon toward the end of the loop which meant I was getting close to the race start/finish area. It felt odd to finish a marathon all alone in the woods with no fanfare. But shortly after passing that milestone, I approached the final turn off one trail onto another. The finish line was in sight and several people clapped and cheered as I approached the transition area which was adjacent to the finish line. I still had one more lap so I headed down the chute to the transition area. The race director was there cheering people on and he gave me a big high five. 

I did not take much time in the transition area. I grabbed a couple of Girl Scout cookies and headed out for my final short loop. I had one new trail to run as part of the last loop and the rest would be on trails I had run twice already. I was well ahead of the intermediary cutoff time and despite being a bit slower than I had hoped, I was pretty sure I would be able to complete this beast of a race. 

I kept pushing myself as much as possible through that last loop. After a quick stop at the last aid station and running through the Beaver Dam campground and back into the woods around mile 30, I came across a man down. There was a young gentleman lying in the mud in the middle of the trail. "Broken leg" popped into my mind. As I approached the young lad, I asked if he was okay. He assured me he was fine, that he just had some bad cramps. I asked him if he needed anything. After all, I was practically carrying my own aid station. "Do you need a gel or water or salt pills?" I asked as I walked towards him on the trail. He declined. "I have halloween candy. Do you want any chocolate?" I countered. No, he was fine he assured me. So, I walked around him and continued down the trail at an easy trot. 

The sweat was still pouring from my forehead despite my progress becoming more of a waddle and walk. As I mentioned, the humidity was relentless. As I continued by myself with a mile or two left, I started to hear people talking somewhere behind me. While I was truly only competing against myself and the elements, I used the presence of these two fellow competitors as, well, competition. I picked up the pace, determined not to let them catch me. I had enough energy to run fairly well for the last bit of trail and once I rounded the corner and saw the finish line, I was given an additional burst of energy. I was nearly done. 

As I ran across the finish line to a few cheers, I noticed that most people had already packed up and left. The race director was there of course, still cheering finishers as they came across the finish line. But there were not too many other people around. I briefly told the race director how much I enjoyed the challenging course and commented on how well marked it was. Then it was on to pick up my finishers pint glass and to the post race food. I ate as much as I could and then waddled back to the campground. 

I thought the race would be hard and it was. But it was a fun challenge in a beautiful park and I would definitely do it again. Next time around, I think I can manage my food and fluids better as to lighten the load in my pack. And I think next time around, I would take the time in the transition area to change my socks after each loop. That might help protect my feet from the wicked blister under a callus that I got on my heel which made even just walking painful. I would also change up my training some to mimic that long 2+ mile steep climb. That just means more trips to the Shenandoah National Park which is good for the soul anyway. 

I highly recommend this race for someone looking for a big challenge on technical trails with plenty of ascent and descent. It is a small race so you might get lonely out there but then again, maybe you will meet someone along the way. 

And now for the stats. 


And a few snapshots.









No comments: